We urge World Sailing Association to exclude Ineos sailing team
After pledging to “beat plastic pollution” earlier this year, World Sailing’s President comes under fire for allowing UK petrochemical giant INEOS to sponsor the UK sailing team. INEOS’s sponsorship can be seen as nothing but blatant greenwashing, which directly undermines the ethics of World Sailing.
In its Code of Ethics, World Sailing makes a promise “to protect the environment on the occasion of any events…and to uphold generally accepted standards for environmental protection.” World Sailing further claims to support the objectives of increasing and developing awareness of sustainability issues amongst all sailing stakeholders.
In June this year, World Sailing joined the Clean Seas Campaign, partnering with the International Olympic Committee and UN Environment to ‘beat plastic pollution’.
The ongoing presence of INEOS Team UK in World Sailing’s headline event single-handedly shatters these endeavours, bringing World Sailing, into disrepute.
Key environmental organisations (including Greenpeace UK, Food & Water Watch, Oil Change International and BreakFreeFromPlastic) as well as grassroots groups have teamed up with academics and are asking World Sailing in an open letter written by Australian Human Rights Lawyer Jennifer Robinson are asking World Sailing to disassociate itself from INEOS Team UK, and consider the implementation of an ethical and environmentally friendly sponsorship policy that truly reflects its goals.
INEOS Team UK led by Sir Ben Ainslie embark on the GC32 X in Toulon, France between 10th-14th October 2018 (www.gc32racingtour.com).
In the Letter addressed to World Sailing President Kim Andersen points out:
- World Sailing Code of Ethics promises to protect the environment at any event!
- World Sailing joined the Clean Seas Campaign to beat plastic pollution!
- But now World Sailing allows INEOS to sponsor a sailing team led by Sir Ben Ainslie!
- INEOS is #Fracking4Plastics on both sides of the Atlantic!
- Fracking contributes significantly to climate change, pollutes the environment, threats public health and violates human rights!
- INEOS wants to frack the UK to make more ocean polluting plastics!
- Plastic pollution is one of the biggest threats to our ocean!
- World Sailing to disassociate itself from INEOS Team UK!
The letter was delivered Wednesday, October 10th 2018, to World Sailing HQ, Paddington, London. This action is part of a wide range of events of groups from around the world who will stand together in a united fight against the gas, fracking and plastics/petrochemicals industry for the Global #GasDownFrackDown 2018
Plus: A landing page was created to collect more supporters/signatories for this initiative.